Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Alan Dove, Dickson Despommier, and Welkin Johnson
Vincent, Alan, Dickson and Welkin review how a virus regulates the severity of mucocutaneous leishmaniasis, virophage control of antarctic algal host-virus dynamics, and human metapneumovirus infection in gorillas.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #128 (67 MB .mp3, 92 minutes).
Links for this episode:
- Leishmania RNA virus controls severity of mucocutaneous leishmaniasis (Science)
- Leishmaniavirus at ViralZone
- Listen to TWiP #14 on Leishmania
- Virophages may control algal virus-host dynamics (PNAS)
- Human metapneumovirus infection of gorillas (EID)
- Reverse zoonoses (virology blog)
- Copy-number variation and co-evolution of viral an primate genomes (PLoS Genetics)
- NIH Study Section rosters
- TWiV on Facebook
- Letters read on TWiV 128
Weekly Science Picks
Welkin – Walter Reed Collection, University of Virginia
Dickson – Bacteria-phage antagonistic coevolution in soil (Science)
Alan – The Artful Amoeba
Vincent – Potential bacteriophage applications (Microbe)
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com, or call them in to 908-312-0760. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.