Hosts: Vincent Racaniello,Â Rich Condit, andÂ Alan Dove
Vincent, Alan, and Rich review ten compelling virology stories of 2011.
Please help us by taking our listener survey.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV 164 (60 MB .mp3, 99 minutes).
Subscribe to TWiV (free) in iTunes , at the Zune Marketplace, by the RSS feed, by email, or listen on your mobile device with the Microbeworld app.
Ten virology stories of 2011:
- XMRV, CFS, and prostate cancer (TWiV 119, 123, 136, 150)
- Influenza H5N1, ferrets, and the NSABB (TWiV 159)
- The Panic Virus (TWiV 117)
- Polio eradication (TWiV 127, 149)
- Viral oncotherapy (TWiVÂ 124, 131, 142, 156)
- Hepatitis C virus (TWiVÂ 130, 137, 141)
- Zinc finger nuclease and HIV therapy (TWiV 144)
- Bacteria help viruses (TWiV 154)
- Human papillomaviruses (TWiV 126)
- Combating dengue with Wolbachia (TWiV 115, 147)
Links for this episode:
- Honorable mention: Color me infected (TWiV 115)
- Lo-AlterÂ retractionÂ (PNAS)
- Propose an ASM General Meeting session
- TWiV on Facebook
- Letters read on TWiV 164
Weekly Science Picks
Rich – Fundamentals of Molecular Virology by Nicholas H. Acheson
Alan – Fetch, with Ruff Ruffman
Vincent – Year end reviews at Rule of 6ix and Contagions
Listener Pick of the Week
Garren – Trillion-frame-per-second video
Judi – iBioMagazine
Ricardo – Brain Picking’s 11 best science books of 2011
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com, or call them in to 908-312-0760. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.