Hosts:Â Vincent Racaniello, Margaret McFall-Ngai, Cliff Mintz, and Michael Schmidt.
On episode #4 of the podcast This Week in Microbiology, Vincent, Cliff, Margaret, and Michael review foodborne bacterial illness in the context of outbreaks associated with cantaloupes and Lebanon bologna.
Click the arrow above to play, or right click to download TWiM #4 (51 MB .mp3, 75 minutes).
Subscribe to TWiM (free) on iTunes,Â Zune Marketplace, via RSS feed, by email or listen on your mobile device with the Microbeworld app.
Links for this episode:
- CDC statement on Salmonella outbreak
- CDC statement on E. coli outbreak
- CIDRAP summaries of cantaloupe and bologna associated outbreaks
- ProMedMail summary of Salmonella outbreak
- Summary of food related illness in US (pdf)
- Food safety and irradiation (CDC)
- Geosmin (thanks, Atila!)
- Letters read on TWiM #4
Send your microbiology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call them in to 908-312-0760. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twim.