On episode #24 of the podcast This Week in Parasitism, Vincent and Dickson discuss the life cycle and pathogenesis of Onchocerca volvulus, the vector-borne filarial nematode parasite that causes onchocerciasis, or river blindness.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiP #24 (59 MB .mp3, 82 minutes).
Links for this episode:
- Cross-section of nodule induced by Onchocerca volvulus (jpg)
- Section of skin with O. volvulus microfilariae (jpg)
- O. volvulus microfilaria in skin (jpg)
- Skin snip with O. volvulus microfilariae (jpg)
- O. volvulus life cycle (jpg)
- Betsy’s malaria life cycle in mosquito (jpg)
- Letters read on TWiP 24
Send your questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com.
Click here to receive an email notification when a new episode of TWiP is published.