Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Alan Dove, and Rich Condit
Vincent, Alan, and Rich review recent outbreaks of mumps in the UK, US, and Israel, protection of mice against 2009 H1N1 influenza A virus by 1918-like and classical swine H1N1 vaccines, and a virus-like particle vaccine for chikungunya virus.
This episode is sponsored by Data Robotics Inc. Use the promotion code VINCENT to receive $50 off a Drobo or $100 off a Drobo S.
Win a free Drobo S! Contest rules here.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #69 (59 MB .mp3, 82 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Mumps outbreak in Israel (ProMedMail and Eurosurveillance; thanks Lenn!) and Iowa
- Retraction of Wakefield vaccines- autism study
- Immunization with 1918-like and classical swine H1N1 influenza viruses protects against 2009 H1N1 strain
- Virus-like particle vaccine for chikungunya virus
- Image: antigenic differences in HA structures of 1918, Cal/09 and Bris/59/07 viruses
- Paul Ewald articles (thanks Atila!): one, two, and three, and a recent review of the hypothesis
Weekly Science Picks
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com or leave voicemail at Skype: twivpodcast. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.