Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Alan Dove, and Dickson Despommier
Vincent, Alan, and Dickson discuss the reduction in genome size of Mimivirus upon passage in amoeba, and analysis of the microbiome of honeybees.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #139 (96 MB .mp3, 80 minutes).
Links for this episode:
- Mimivirus genome reduction after amoebal culture (PNAS)
- Carbohydrate-Active enZYmes database
- Analysis of the honey bee microbiome (PLoS One)
- The colony-collapse blues (TWiV 104)
- Blessed are the beekeepers (Wall Street Journal)
- TWiV on Facebook
- Letters read on TWiV 139
Weekly Science Picks
Listener Pick of the Week
Lance – A History of the World since 9/11 by Dominic Streatfeild
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com, or call them in to 908-312-0760. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.