Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Dickson Despommier, Alan Dove, and Rich Condit
Vincent, Dickson, Alan, and Rich answer listener questions about maternal infection and fetal injury, viral gene therapy, eyeglasses and influenza, filtering prions from blood, eradication of rinderpest, Tamiflu resistance of H1N1 influenza, bacteriophages and the human microbiome, H1N1 vaccine recalls, human tumor viruses, RNA interference, and junk DNA.
This episode is sponsored by Data Robotics Inc. Use the promotion code VINCENT to receive $50 off a Drobo or $100 off a Drobo S.
Win a free Drobo S! Contest rules here.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #71 (63 MB .mp3, 88 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Maternal infection and fetal neurological injury
- Filtering prions from blood (prion capture technology)
- Eradication of rinderpest (Merck veterinary manual)
- Podcasts from Life in the Universe course
- Immune Attack video game
- H1N1 review article and Holmes on genetic hijacking
- Podcast on Merck vaccines
- Ft. Lee NJ snowed in (jpg)
Weekly Science Picks
Dickson and Alan NSF/AAAS Science and Engineering Visualization Challenge
Rich Foundation by Issac Asimov
Vincent Natural Obsessions by Natalie Angier
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave voicemail at Skype: twivpodcast. You can also post articles that you would like us to discuss at microbeworld.org and tag them with twiv.