Hosts: Vincent Racaniello, Alan Dove, Rich Condit, Gustavo Palacios, and Mady Hornig
A TWiV panel of five considers the finding of Streptococcus pneumoniae in fatal H1N1 cases in Argentina, hysteria in the Ukraine over pandemic influenza, and human vaccinia infection after contact with a raccoon rabies vaccine bait.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #59 (58 MB .mp3, 80 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Argentine flu death mystery
- H1N1 influenza outbreak in Ukraine (article one and two, and WHO statement)
- Human vaccinia infection after contact with rabies vaccine bait
- Agrippal S1 inactivated H1N1 vaccine (pdf – thanks Ariel and Ayelet)
- Nick’s letter on are viruses and life
- Take the poll: are viruses alive?
Weekly Science Picks
Rich Longitude by Dava Sobel
Alan Heil Pro Set Media Headset (for a good price, order from a ham radio store)
Vincent MicrobeWorld app for iPhone and iTouch (iTunes or MicrobeWorld)
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave voicemail at Skype: twivpodcast. You can also send articles that you would like us to discuss to delicious and tag them with to:twivpodcast.